COME WALK/RUN IN THE FOOTSTEPS OF MADIBA
February 11th, 2023 marks the 33rd anniversary of Nelson Mandela’s historic release from Victor Verster Prison (now the Drakenstein Correctional Facility) and the walk to Freedom after 27 years of incarceration. To commemorate the event, the Drakenstein Correctional Services will host the 11th 27 for Freedom Race day at the Drakenstein Correctional Facility outside Paarl on the R301. For the serious runner, there is the scenic revised 27km run/walk (symbolic of the number of years spent in jail by the former president), or the 10km run/walk or the Freedom Route (5km). The day promises to be a family fun day of sports, history and entertainment. You will walk/run along the same route that was taken by Madiba as he left prison, from the Madiba House, Long Walk to Freedom, to the Madiba Statue at the entrance of the Correctional Facility. 2023 will be the 10th anniversary of the death of late President Nelson Mandela.
Start Time: 06:30
Cut Off Time: 10:30
Start Time: 07:00
Cut Off Time: 10:30
5km Fun Run/Walk
Start Time: 09:00
Cut Off Time: 10:30
Medals to all finishers.
Great Lucky Draw Prizes.
1. The 27 for Freedom is run in accordance with the rules of ASA and Boland Athletics.
2. The 27 for Freedom 27km & 10km races are open to all licensed and non-licensed runners of 20 years and older for the 27km and 14 years and older for the 10km.
3. Licensed runners should wear club colours. Official event race number to be worn on the front. Registered athletes must wear their ASA licenses on the front and back of their vest. The race number must be worn on the front of the vest, partially covering the ASA license, so that the ASA license sponsor remains visible. Temporary licensed runners must wear the race number on the front of their vest and the temporary license on the back.
4. Temporary licensed participants are eligible for age category prizes provided they enter the relevant age group, wear the appropriate age tags and provide proof of age.
5. Unlicensed runners must wear plain clothes (no advertising permitted). Official event race number to be worn on the front and the temporary license number on the back.
6. Personal seconding is not permitted except at official refreshment stations. Private vehicles are requested not to follow the athletes on the route.
7. In addition to overall (Open) prizes, participants will only be eligible for an age category prize in the age category they enter. Corresponding numerical age category tags must be worn on the front and back of their club vest. Participants may enter the age category corresponding to their chronological age or any younger category up to senior.
8. Proof of age is required for category prizes.
9. Juniors wearing a junior or a senior license must wear an age category tag to qualify for age group prizes.
10. Each race distance has a different race number range and colour with your data captured electronically. Do not transfer between races without notifying the race organisers.
11. All traffic officers and marshals must be obeyed.
12. The race organisers reserve the right to accept or reject any entry.
13. Foreign athletes must comply with IAAF rule 4.2 and all relevant race and domestic rules. The athletes must be able to produce the letter from his/her federation permitting participation on race day.
14. The entry fee is non-refundable.
15. Kilometre markers will be placed at each kilometre mark.
16. Refreshment stations will be situated approximately every 3 – 4km along the route.
17. Medals will be handed to all finishers.
18. There will be tog bag facilities. Bags dropped off at runners’ own risk. The organiser will be not be held responsible for any loss or damages.
19. Toilets will be available at the start and finish.
20. Prize giving will take place at 10h30.
21. Results will be available at www.topevents.co.za
22. The use of music players with headphones is not allowed and may result in disqualification.
23. Do not litter. Dispose of sachets and cups responsibly by using the boxes provided or carrying them to the Finish. Report offenders to the referees.
24. Wheelchair athletes must please contact the organisers timeously to discuss arrangements for their participation.
27km Licenced R190.00 includes timing chip
27km Unlicenced R260.00
10km Licenced R120.00 includes timing chip
10km Unlicensed R190.00
5km Senior R50.00
5km Junior R30.00
Event T-shirts for the road race will be sold online at R250.00
Number collection will take place on Friday, 10th February 2023 from 10:00 – 18:00 at the following Sportsmans Warehouse Stores:
• Sportsmans Warehouse Paarl
• Sportsmans Warehouse Rondebosch
• Sportsmans Warehouse Somerset West
• Sportsmans Warehouse Tyger Valley
NO NUMBER COLLECTION WILL TAKE PLACE ON RACE DAY.
• No upgrades, downgrades or substitutions will be done after the 29th January 2023.
CONFIRMATION OF ENTRY:
- All entrants will receive a confirmation email (if an email address is provided by you.)
- Prior to number collection you will receive a sms indicating your race number and number collection venue you selected on your entry form.
- Please bring proof of your entry, email confirmation or sms confirmation with you to number collection on Friday, 10th February 2023 from 10:00 – 18:00 at the store you selected when you entered online.
Timing and results details will go here.
The results will be electronically produced on race day by the
official chip timing system.
1. Your timing chip will be placed on your race number. The race number must be worn on the front of your vest and visible at the finish line. There is a foam strip on the back of the race number. Please do not remove the timing chip and foam strip from the race number – doing so will result in NO finish time.
For safety and timing purposes, ONLY the person assigned to this race number may use it. No swopping of race numbers as the race number is linked to your name and finishing time and may result in your disqualification.
1. Prize giving: Only category winners will receive their prizes on race day.
2. In addition to Overall (Open) prizes, participants will only be eligible for an age category prize in the age category they enter. Corresponding numerical age category tags must be worn on the front and back of their Club vest. Participants may enter the age category corresponding to their chronological age or any younger category down to senior.
3. Temporary licensed participants are eligible for age category prizes provided they enter the relevant age group, wear the appropriate age tags and provide proof of age.
4. There will be NO team prizes.
5. 1st Male and Female of the Department of Correctional Services in the 27km will receive a prize of R1027 and in the 10km will receive a prize of R1027.
|27KM MALE AND FEMALE|